November 27, 2012

I've Got a Fever...

Baby Fever, that is. Last Friday, I got a taste of what life would be like with two babies under age two. I had Miles, of course, and little baby Zachary- only two months old and the son of a dear friend. It seems like many of my friends are currently pregnant with their second, third, and even fourth babies; while I've been fairly certain that I have no desire to get pregnant, I was interested to see how the day would unfold. I was also a little nervous as to how Miles would react.

Let's be clear: little Zachary was perfectly calm and sweet. My normally calm and sweet Miles was practically throwing himself down in a "rit of fage", as Parker likes to say. This carried on pretty much all day, with only a pause for a brief morning nap. I would've been completely and totally overwhelmed if not for visits with family throughout the day. My sisters kept Miles distracted and occupied while I rocked Zachary and fed him his afternoon bottles. After baby Z left, Miles crawled to me immediately and gave me many slobbery kisses with his arms around my neck. My sweet boy was back!

So that settles it: I'm not ready! Who knows if I'll ever be ready. I know that for me personally, more than one baby would not be a good fit for our family right now and it would mean giving up certain things that I'm not willing to give up. Like my sanity (again, I am not criticizing mamas of more than one child. I am in awe of you!). Maybe later this will change.

At the end of the day, it was good to get some clarity on my baby fever and realize, as my friend Morgan said recently when I asked her if she had The Fever: "Yes, but I'm not going to do anything about it!"

4 comments:

Chrystal said...

I'm totally with you on this. More than one kid equals chaos, and who wants to go through getting fat again???

lisacng said...

Aw, poor lil Miles was jealous not having 100% mommy time!!! So cute! Sorry about the 'fit of rage' -- that sucks, no matter the day. Glad you got some perspective b/c we should all be "ready" to bring children into the world.

Chantal said...

I get baby fever but then Penny starts screaming and I think, I wanna do this again?

Shawn said...

It's definitely not for the faint of heart! My second child is a few month shy of 2 and my kids are 3 years apart. The dynamics really shifted when we went from one to two and we are still adjusting! It's something you really have to be ready for and I'm just glad we have that 3 year spread between ours.