August 22, 2008

Veralynn's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I'm actally quite a big baby. This day could've been a lot worse in a lot of ways. But for some reason, it was all the little things that were really rubbing me the wrong way today. Like poor Alexander. It wasn't a huge event that made the day irksome, just a bunch of little stings and annoyances.
Emily had surgery today...she's been discharged from the hospital and is recovering at home with her parents tonight. The doctor told that she must stop smoking, or the issue will progress to a major issue in three years. (But when the nurse was wheeling her outside, the first thing she did was grab for cigarette...oy!)
Mom and I spent the day in and out of the hospital. This is when things got a little irksome. First, there was the most annoying "news" show I've ever seen in my entirely limited experience of news programs. Every story was magnified times a thousand (at least), an annoying panel of a psychologist, a lawyer, and some other guy yelled at each other and the host of the show (the only woman) with conflicting ideas. I almost wanted to call up those peeps (they had a number for viewers to call in and put their two cents in) and tell them to "shut their freakin' gobs" (a la Juno), because while the news itself was certainly interesting and thought-provoking, the commentary was obnoxious and absolutely pointless. No wonder lots of people don't want to watch the news. Three hours of that and I felt if I heard that woman's voice one more time I would punch a wall. I'm really glad we weren't there for much longer- the only upside to being there was to comfort Emily and be comforted by the occasional good-looking male nurse (speaking of which, my mom whacked my arm for having a look on my face when a McDreamy-esque nurse walked by. How rude.)
We stepped out of the hospital for a half hour to run to the college bookstore to grab some textbooks for my classes (I'm taking Cultural Anthropology, Theories of Personality, Logic, U.S. History 1865 to the Present, and Geography), only to discover that some of them were completely new to the bookstore and not available used, and that some were only available new due to a limited quantity of used books...anywho, it looked like I didn't have enough moolah for what I needed. I wound up being very stressed due to a couple phone calls and wanted to conveniently knock myself unconscious with my Philosophy textbook.
There's some other things weighing on my mind that I can't really share here either, but heavy they are, and contributing to my Day (capitalized for a reason). Hopefully tomorrow is better. For now, listening to some music and staring at my ceiling fan.

~VL~

No comments: