June 11, 2008

"You're going to see WHAT?"

Last night, Deja and I went to see a movie. A movie that some might find questionable just by the title alone- Sex & the City: The Movie. When my dad asked what movie we were going to see, I told him- when Ernie asked after I got home, I told him too. I recevied the same reaction from both: a grunt and a, "Whatever." I told my thoughts to Deja, "It's not any worse than saying a movie was called Sex and 300 or Sex and the Notebook!" At this comment, Deja burst out laughing. But it's true...from HBO's point of view, who's going to watch a TV show or movie called, "The City"? You may ask, "But isn't there sex in it?" Yes, there is (you won't find many movies today that don't). But that is not the main focus point of the show. Sex is the lure, plot is the catch. So, what's so catchy about it? It's the separate and very different lives of Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda brought together by the city and solidified by nearly twenty years of friendship.
Is there anything biblical to be learned here? Of course! And something positive, at that. Ecclesiastes 4:10 says: "If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!" How true!
There are a lot of other lessons to be learned from a movie like Sex & the City, but friendship is the one I've appreciated most as a viewer. Friends are wonderful- true friends, those who are with you through good and bad, are treasures.

No comments: