April 24, 2009

Oh, For the Love of Books!


Today I was looking around my room at all the books I have and thinking about some of my favorite literary characters. I have more than a few, but one in particular that I was pondering over today.

So, I don't know how many people who read my blog have read the whole Anne of Green Gables series, but you should know that it's my favorite book series ever. This is partially because I've never really read any other book series, but mostly because I love all of the books and have read them all more times than I can count. My favorite book of the series is Anne of the Island- this could be because this particular chapter of Anne's life is the one I'm in right now: college, thinking about future goals and dreams, educational aspirations, etc. This book is also my favorite because in it you will find the introduction of Phillipa Gordon, fabulous character #1. She is a lot like me in that she is a little vain (like she is always making sure her hair is perfect, she knows the boys love her...), but is happiest with verbal confirmation from others of her own opinions about her looks. She's indecisive but perfectly happy with her choices, because she always makes the right one. She wins two major academic scholarships to show her man that she's not only pretty but also "enormously clever". She's an aspiring domestic goddess but faces multiple obstacles in the kitchen, like me... Her man adores her despite all of her shortcomings and personality quirks (also like me! Sigh.) I love her.

Aren't books the best? I admire anyone who can write a believable character with such feelings, emotions, and imperfections to where I can imagine them being just the sort of person I'd have as a friend in real life.


~VL~

No comments: