May 21, 2012

Life (Or Something Like It)

Today has been pretty rough. Two people I know passed away- and as of last week, they were both healthy. One of them was a family friend; the other was a friend's fiancé. I'm not going to lie, it felt like I got punched in the stomach, twice. To imagine people I care about being in grief hurts to the point where I can feel it. (It's embarrassing, but sometimes I get so comfortable and complacent in my day-to-day activities that I forget that life is fleeting and shouldn't be treated so mundanely.) It's like getting a bucket of cold water splashed in your face- it's shock to your system, but once you open your eyes, brings clarity.


How can I live each day better in full appreciation of the life I've been given? It's a question I've been working through, and I've come to the conclusion that it would be much easier to make a general pledge to "live life to the fullest". The actual effort to savor life is in the details. When Miles wakes during the night, I can embrace the limited time he needs me to comfort him rather than wearily care for him with a bad attitude. I can take time to do something special with my husband, just the two of us. 


Here's to the little things that make life so special.
Leave a comment here!


~VP~

No comments: