May 28, 2012

Sunday Thoughts and Our Week (In a Nutshell)

Helping mama with laundry (photo taken by Parker)
It brought a smile to my face today when one of my favorite people at church told me she reads my blog. Sometimes I wonder how many readers stop by; sometimes it's a little scary to know who exactly is reading some of these thoughts o' mine. I hope, though, that sharing my stories, opinions and musings will bring positivity to anyone who is reading.

While we were at church today, I was sitting in the cry room with a sleeping Miles when another mom walked in with her little girl whose first birthday is next week. Seeing her playing and smiling made me so excited for Miles to be at that age (which will be around Christmas!), when he will be learning to walk and interact more and more as a little person. I'm still amazed at how much he's changed in the nearly five months he's been here.

My happy boy!


So what's been happening this week? Well, things have gotten a little crunchy around here. Miles has been rocking an amber teething necklace- which doesn't seem to bother him at all and is very cute- in hopes of easing his discomfort as he enters the teething phase of life. I think it's adorable in a flower child sort of way, although I've had a lot more strangers think he is a girl because he's wearing a necklace. Also, this week we have begun using cloth diapers- mostly at night, but sometimes during the day- as a gradual shift away from disposable diapers. I can tell you that Parker is not thrilled (but I think he'll come around)! I've been using the BumGenius Freetime diaper during the night (no leaks and Miles seems a lot more comfortable), and switching between the BumGenius 4.0 and the Flip pocket diapers, using cotton prefolds as the inserts. I have to give a shout-out to my friend Morgan who guided me through Cloth Diapering 101 a while back (I was still pregnant with Miles!)- it's been so helpful! We'll have to see how excited I am about them once we've started Miles on solid food...

I've had a lot of fun this week with my favorite sister-in-law; we went shopping, and enjoyed some really good food at Ai Love Sushi (although eating there was bittersweet since it's in the space where Chef Rick's used to be). Miles loves seeing Jessica, too- it's great being able to spend more time with her instead of only a few times a year!

Concentrating before the race.
My brother Ernie had a BMX race yesterday and it was intense. I brought Miles towards the end and he was fascinated, watching all the bikes speed past on the track. I had been recording the two qualifying events on Ernie's iPod for him and it was tricky to cheer and record at the same time, but I managed (I have a feeling I will be very vocal at Miles's future sporting events...he's going to be so embarrassed!). Earlier in the day, one of the riders had crashed pretty badly and had to be taken away by ambulance, so when my brother crashed in the main event I felt my heart jump a little but he got back up and finished the race, and I cheered the whole time. I could tell he was annoyed when we met up after the race, which I completely understand, because we both hate losing (must be a family trait). At the end of the day, though, there will be more races and I know he'll keep getting better and better since sometimes it seems as if he needs to ride like he needs air to breathe! I even took home a sunburn as a souvenir (shame on me- I know I need to wear sunscreen!), and I think I learned my lesson because my ears are literally burning.

I'm thinking of starting a section of the blog called The Reluctant Crafter. I am not by nature a craft-lover; however, Pinterest somehow keeps managing to find ideas that catch my eye. I've got a few ideas lined up and just might start crafting soon!

Have a good week!
Leave a comment here!

~VP~

No comments: